When will I be able to FINALLY start playing AOEII: HD?
- The game will officially unlock for pre-purchasers on Steam at approximately 10AM Pacific time (GMT -7), April 5th, 2013.
- The game is also now available for pre-loading (updated 11:40am PST)
I have the original Age of Empires 2. Can I play
multiplayer matches with my friends who have the new HD version?
- Age of Empires 2: HD Edition uses a different multiplayer service thn
the original version, so cross-platform matchmaking is not possible. You
will need to have the same version as your friend in order to play
Can I redeem my cd key from the original Age of
Empires 2 to get the new HD version?
- CD key activation is
not available. You can only get Age of Empires 2: HD Edition via direct
purchase from Steam.
Can I play the game over LAN?
- You can play
single player while Steam is in offline mode, but you will still need
internet access to connect to Steam for multiplayer capability.
Does Age of Empires 2: HD Edition support Steam cloud
Will this game be available on Mac or Linux?
- There are no plans
for a Mac OS or Linux version at this time.
Will the game be available in my region?
- Age of Empires II: HD Edition will
be available in any region that Steam currently supports.
Can I play with gamers worldwide?
- You can play Age of Empires II: HD Editions with gamers around the world. Search for games will present results based on the best ping available. Set up private or friend's only games, or invite players for easy access to your pals around the world.
What kind of Matchmaking is there?
- Up to 8 Players
- Game Lobby Browser
- Invite your Steam
friends to custom games
How will the Leaderboard rankings work? (Similar to
- All leaderboards are handled through the Steam API. You do have a user rank / skill that is calculated like an ELO, but it's not in public facing tiers like Age of Empires III. All of the multiplayer is also handled through Steam, so our feature set falls within the realm of the API's capabilities; we'll provide additional detail between now and launch.
How do I use Steam Workshop?
- Steam Workshop can be
accessed from the game launcher as well as from the in-game menu, and scenario
editor. With Steam Workshop, you can share, download, and build
user-created content for the game. We will have a special blog dedicated
to these features in the coming weeks, so stay tuned.
Is there DRM?
- Age of Empires 2: HD
Edition uses only the Steam service for license management. Games for Windows
LIVE is not required.
Have there been any changes made to the gameplay?
- No, it's still the
same classic Age of Empires II experience.
...So this is still the same Age of Empires that I
know and love?
- Absolutely! All of
the gameplay remains the same, we have merely updated the game to run on
current operating systems, with HD graphics. The game now scales to fit
your monitor, and even offers multi-monitor support for even higher
What version of the game is this?
- You can expect the
mechanics and balance from 1.0c.
Will this work on my Surface Pro?
- Yup! Touch does work,
though a mouse and keyboard make it much easier.
What are the minimum system requirements to play the game?
- Windows XP, Vista, 7,
available on ARM architecture, i.e. Windows 8 RT)
- Steam Software
- 900x600 minimum
- Direct X 9.0c Capable
- 1.2GHz CPU
- 1GB RAM
- 2GB HDD
So I know if we buy bundle 1 (single copy of the game), AOEII: HD unlocks early. What about if I buy the 4-pack or the Legacy bundles? Do I still get the game on April 5th?
- Yes! No matter which bundle option fits you best, you will be able to play the game on April 5th. And for those users who purchase a 4-pack with friends, *everyone* who is apart of the 4-pack will also have the game on April 5th.
I heard that the population cap has been increased.
How will this work in-game?
- You will be able to choose to
increase the population cap to 500. However, this option will only be
available in custom match games, it is not possible to raise the cap in
single player (affects game balance) or via Quick Match.
What are you guys planning to do to prevent hacking?
- The primary purpose of Age of
Empires II: HD Edition was to focus on updating the core original
gameplay. We are utilizing some of Steam’s proprietary technologies
to help prevent unauthorized modification of the core game, and will
monitor the game environment after release.