Privacy Policy Welcome to Age of Empires Online
in Search

PvP Scene

Last post 01-04-2013, 9:08 AM by Global Anarchy. 17 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (18 items)   < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-04-2013, 6:10 AM 338159 in reply to 338156

Re: PvP Scene

i've paid £20 for greeks, between £5-£10 for each civ after that except norse which i got with EP. that's more than any full RTS costs, and we didn't even get replays.

a lot of the reason many people have stuck around despite lack of features is that good progress was being made. obs mode and postgame stats came and were great. it seemed pretty likely that they would follow through and get replays out sometime this year, and mess around with some of the menus to get things more streamlined and easy to use for new players, add champ mode support for skirmish, fix all the bugs in postgame stats, fix/improve some things in obs mode such as showing all resources on the map when viewing everyone... now it looks like none of that will happen other than maybe one or two bug fixes.

it's a well known fact that right now, the game is extremely lacking in things you'd expect for an RTS game. before this announcement, it was somewhat compensated by the good work that had been happening. but now, we know this half-baked game will remain this way permanently, and that's going to make a lot of people quit the game. and when people quit, others have less people to play with, and so they quit too. things are looking bleak.

Member of cG.
  •  01-04-2013, 7:26 AM 338191 in reply to 338156

Global Anarchy:

I mean, just how many of you paid enough to support the game? I didn’t. I started playing this game largely because it was free, and for a free game, I think this game’s quality is more than enough.

I don't like talking about money but I paid more than 50$. I happily pay for a good game even if it is not neccessary. Yes, most players are f2p kids like you. But there is always people paying/donating as long as game deserves it.

•  01-04-2013, 9:08 AM 338237 in reply to 338191

Riqimaru:

I happily pay for a good game even if it is not neccessary. Yes, most players are f2p kids like you. But there is always people paying/donating as long as game deserves it.

That was the problem, I think. Most people didn't have to pay anything to get what they wanted. I bought premium Egypt for another account when the game started, but this account is completely free. In the last several months, I got Premium Celts, Pro Babylonian, Pro Norse and full sets of Ice Warriors vanity for Babylon and Norse all for EP, and I'm still floating with 5k EP. I can get all the other civs if I want, and as a PvPer, what else would I want?

You can't expect people to donate money for your product. To get money you have to make something people want, and set the price. If this game was meant to be much more developed, I think this business model was not suited for that. Well, I guess it's not an if. They clearly failed.

By the way, I also think this game's concept has been indecisive. Just like AZTCuRe said. RTS with an MMO element? Sure, that's new, but who is the target? It seemed they started seriously thinking about PvP AFTER the release. It must have cost them more than it would have if they planed it ahead.

I hope they do better next time, if there is a next time, that is. For now, I consider this game to be a free-to-play game; as such, I have no complaint about its quality.

Page 2 of 2 (18 items)   < Previous 1 2
View as RSS news feed in XML